Time & Location
Apr 29, 9:00 a.m.
4498 Harwood Rd, 4498 Harwood Rd, Baltimore, ON K0K 1C0, Canada
About the event
I want to provide you some details and thoughts for our upcoming collecting day on the 29th.
The nearest address for the field is across the road at 4498 Harwood rd., in Hamilton township. I have provided directions below for those of us who still navigate without the benefit of navigation systems or mobile phones. We will park along the east side of the road and access the gate there. We will start at 9 a.m. and I plan on arriving 10 or 15 minutes early to guide people as they arrive.
Directions from Toronto- Take the 401 east to exit 472 (Cobourg) Burnham street. Turn Left (North) at the stop light and proceed for 12 km to Beaver Meadow rd..Turn Right (East) on Beaver Meadow rd. and travel for 2.9 km to Harwood rd.(First stop sign) Turn Left (North) at the stop sign and travel for 250 meters, the destination is on the right.
I expect most participants are experienced collectors but here are some thoughts gathered from previous years for those who might be newer.
First and foremost we want people to be safe and have fun.
- We don't want people to overexert or otherwise hurt themselves. Lets help each other out to make sure everyone goes home safe and happy with their newfound trees.
- Hydrate - you will need water.
Bring sharp shovels, pruning saws and loppers to manage digging, branches and roots.
- Most participants are well equipped but please share if some don't have the necessary tools. The soil is sandy loam so not a difficult task ( no pick axes required!) but it is still lots of work to get at and cut those big tap roots.
Don't pick the first tree you see right beside the gate - unless you really like the first tree beside the gate!
- This is a very large field with literally hundreds of trees which can be overwhelming so take some time to walk around and see something you really like. Alternatively, if the tree you really have to have is at the far corner of the field you have to somehow get it back to your car so plan on carrying, dragging or otherwise getting it back there hundreds of meters away.
I know you want them all, and our farmer friend would really like you to take them all but...
- you have to remember how much you can fit into your car/ truck/ SUV. Make sure you bring tarps or something to protect your vehicles interior, branches can be sharp. Tools too.
Think about aftercare.
- Once you have filled your vehicle your going to want to get home in a timely fashion and take care of your new trees, mostly you don't want roots drying out if you can help it. Think about bringing damp towels or spray bottles.
Leave the field better than you found it. We need to respect the property owner and her livestock.
- We need to make sure to fill in all the holes and leave discarded branches etc. in a tidy fashion. Take any materials you brought with you when you leave.
There are no facilities at the site so manage your bio break needs appropriately!
- There is a gas station just as you exit the highway if you need to use the facilities prior to coming.
I look forward to seeing everyone. This is going to be fun! Jim Robertson